A proper and diligent spa cover care routine can be the difference between needing to buy a replacement cover in 5 years instead of 6 years. Here are some tips to increase the lifespan of a spa cover:
- Keep the cover clean. The vinyl needs to stay clean and conditioned. Use a very mild detergent and water solution to clean the vinyl portion of the cover at least twice per month to keep your spa looking great and help expand the life of your spa cover.
- Wipe chemical residue from the underside of the cover every chance you get. These residues, if left on the cover, start to break down the material causing it to become porous.
- Maintain proper spa water chemistry. The better your spa water chemistry is maintained the vapors coming off the tub will be less corrosive. Making the vapors less corrosive leads to the protective layers of the cover to degrade more slowly, and increasing the lifespan of your spa cover.
- Unzip the cover and clean just inside the zipper at least twice per year. Mildew has a tendancy to build up here and if you have not kept your sanitizer levels up you may develop this as a problem.
- Remove the cover for 20-30 minutes after shocking your spa water. As the shock is burning out the Chloromines and Bromimines in your spa, highly corrosive vapors are released. Following this tip will protect your covers materials from premature degradation.
- Completely remove the cover at least once per week to allow the water to drain out of it. Always completely remove the cover while using your hot tub.
Cover life expectancy depends on a lot of factors including amount of direct sun the cover receives, is it cared for correctly or abused, how the spa chemical regimen is followed, and varying weather patterns.
Find the perfect spa cover for your hot tub at Quick Spa Parts.